Monday, December 1, 2008

Chicken

This is more & more becoming just a cooking blog. Mostly because it's not overly difficult to cook without dairy once you know what to look for. It is helping tons with buying and using only basic ingredients though, since most pre-packaged items contain at least some quantity of dairy. Except Oreos. Lovely, lovely Oreos are, in fact, vegan. Or so I hear. Oh, that just makes them even worse, doesn't it? There is absolutely nothing good in Oreos. Except the yummy creamy filling.

Anyway, this post isn't about Oreos, it's about chicken. And the ridiculous amounts of it that we eat. Or not. The chicken that I brined for our supper on American Thanksgiving was delicious. Our George Foreman chicken roaster, leaves chicken deliciously juicy even when you do nothing but stick some garlic inside and brush on some olive oil. Brine the chicken and it melts in your mouth. Andrew says, "this is probably the best chicken I've ever had!" Which means, that the recipe is a keeper. The man has eaten a lot of roasted chicken. Today, I'm turning the rest of the carcass into stock. Plunk the bones/skin/whatever into a big stockpot with a chopped onion (big chops are okay!), garlic, celery, and whateve spices you feel like using today and simmer it away for like 8 hours. The longer the better. Then you strain it and pour it into a small container that fits in the fridge. Once it's cold, you can scrape the extra fat off of it. It's not really a one day deal, but if you want to skip the refrigeration that's up to you. Then you can make yummy chicken soup. Or whatever else you want to do with it. I toss in a bunch more chopped vegetables, the leftover bits of chicken meat (if you can hide it from your husband that long!) and some noodles.


**On a side note, my chicken roaster, supposedly does other things. It comes with a whole recipe booklet, even claims to make cakes! But the only thing I ever cook in it is chicken. Why mess with a good thing?

No comments: