Thursday, November 27, 2008

The hard thing about maintaining a recipe blog is that I don't generally use recipes. A typical supper at our house is just stuff that I throw into a pan (or several) and call it supper. Generally, this works great. For instance, last night's supper:

Into a rice cooker dump the following:
1 lg. coffee mug of rice
1 half the same mug of water
1 can coconut milk (the full fat stuff. it's good fat.)
*you can cook this quite easily in a pan on the stove, just use 1.5 mugfulls of water.

Pour about a tablespoon of olive oil into a wok, large skillet, or dutch oven (something that will tolerate high heat). Cook 3 or 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless). I like the frozen ones from costco. Pre-marinated, ready to go. Our favorite flavor currently is sweet apple curry. Once the chicken is cooked on the outside (about halfway to the center) take it out of the pan and chop it into bite size pieces. Return to pan and cook through, stirring as necessary. Temperature: if your chicken is unfrozen, start off at med-high. I start at very low to thaw the chicken a bit so I can cut it up easier. Once you have the chicken cut up, crank the heat to high and toss in whatever veggies you have on hand. For us, this generally means red, orange or yellow peppers, mini corn, regular corn, asparagus, celery, green beans, you really can't go wrong here, just toss in whatever you like. Cook & stir until veggies are done to your preference, then you can add in some grated ginger or maybe some minced garlic. Then I put on some sauce and call it done. Start to finish is generally 20 minutes or so. I also like to dice a firm apple and put that in for some variety. The trick with that is to not add it too soon or they'll get mushy.

Sauces we like are:
Sweet Thai Chili from Thai Kitchen (we get it at Costco)
Teriyaki (i can not spell this word!)
Maple Apple Beer barbecue sauce from Sobeys
Hoisin Sauce (Asian market)

No comments: